Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Memories From Turkey

Kusadasi Turkey . . .

We visited the ancient city of Ephesus . . . considered the greatest city in Asia Minor during the Roman Empire. Absolutely amazing!

The Library of Celsus
 













Great Theatre . . . still noted for its remarkable acoustics







We learned that the government of Turkey was worried that the art of rug making was becoming a dying craft.  They decided to offer young girls the opportunity to learn the craft for free as well as offering them free medical insurance!  They took us the journey of a rug from start to finish . . . and what a journey it was!
The silk worms shell "bathed" to soften the strands of silk.
 













Just a small sample of the gorgeous rugs!

4 comments:

  1. I hear our rug will be arriving soon!!! :) xxxoooxxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! I haven't taken a real trip in so long- amazing the things you see and experience when you are able to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to ask if you have a rug on order, but I see from Lyndsey's comment above that it will soon be on your floor! It's like so many of our "old" crafts that seem to be getting lost because of new technology. Thanks for taking us on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the rugs are amazingly beautiful. We have an import store here & I used to go in to gaze... I have one rug from my mother-in-law-love it. But that library-just imagine what was there! Thanks for showing some of your trip.

    ReplyDelete