The playground is quiet not a movement or sound
But at noon that all changes when children abound
There’s screaming, there’s laughter there’s games to be played
There’s balls and some hoops and jump ropes for each grade.
I stand there and watch them so happy and carefree
Some swinging, or sliding or just chatting under the tree
Watching I’m reminded how much movement they need
Yet we want them to sit and of course then exceed
But For 20 minutes a day they can run and be free
And if it’s sunny they’re even getting some vitamin D
So thank goodness for recess, when weather permits
Cause both teachers and children would surely call it quits!
Don't we all wish for just 20 minutes to just play. How difficult it must be for the children to sit, listen, pay attention and learn, because I know I have trouble sitting, listening and paying attention let alone learn! Thank goodness y'all get a reprieve.
ReplyDeleteOn this first spring like day in my area, your poem certainly rings a bell for me reminding me of the importance of that 20 minutes. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAh, recess! Love the images you created from the quiet to the bustling playground. Carefree! Maybe I need to head outside for recess for a few minutes to observe, get some sun - when the weather permits of course!
ReplyDeleteHOORAY for recess! It's a great part of lunch duty, especially when no one's getting hurt or tattling!
ReplyDelete