Late last night, I heard that familiar “CHIRP” on my phone. Even though I was already in bed, I had to get up to see who the text was from. . . I know it’s an addiction...
What I saw was a picture, a picture that to all of you would mean nothing, but for me it gave me chills of pride and joy!
The picture was a sign on a door, not just any sign, it was a sign with my nephew’s name on it. You see, he just started his career as an attorney.
Seeing that sign brought back so many memories of all his “firsts” . . . his first word, first step, first hit in T-Ball, first A on his report card and oh . . . how the list goes on and on. . .
and I was there . . . there for all the “firsts”, not just as a gloating Aunti, but as his “second” mom . . . as my sister has always says . . a role I cherish so, so deeply for both he and his sister.
I remember . . . how as a very young boy, when people would ask, “what do you want to be when you grow up?” He would always say with such conviction, “I’m going to be a lawyer!” And people would smile and think how cute . . . but you see . . . he was serious, he really did want to be an attorney.
I remember . . . looking for colleges with him, colleges that would help him reach his goals . . . because yes, he still wanted to be an attorney.
Then it was law schools, which would be the best fit? Which would be the one to help land him a job?. . .
I remember . . . law school graduation, so proud, so, so proud . . . but on that day it was very anticlimactic for him. . . because next he would have to pass the bar . . . the test that determines if you will practice law.
I remember . . . last summer when he was studying for the California Bar . . . his fears . . . how overwhelmed he was whenever I talked to him . . and it was hard, hard to talk to him because there was nothing to say but give words of encouragement. . . because you see this was the test that would determine it all . . determine if he would finally begin his dream.
I remember . . . the night . . . 4 months after taking the bar . . . waiting to hear if he passed . . . sitting waiting for him to call . . . oh how I remember . . . how that night dragged on until . . the phone rang and we heard those words . . “I passed.”
I remember . . . my sister and I bursting into tears. . . tears of joy and pride because he did it! His dream would finally become a reality . . . even though in the back of our minds we had the same fears as he and so many young people today have. . . a dreadful job market. But again, I had words of encouragement, stay positive . . . it will all work out.
So you see, it was not just any sign for me . . . it was seeing someone I love, come full circle and reach a long time goal! Congratulations Honey!!!!
What a great story! Your belief in him, encouragement, what a great Aunt.
ReplyDeleteWow! I can feel your pride in your nephew and I'm sure your sister is floating. What an accomplishment and I know just from your writing that he will be a great attorney. Encouragement does wonders for everyone. So keep encouraging!
ReplyDeleteWOO HOO! Your nephew has arrived! LOVE the picture - it speaks to all he's worked toward since his childhood. He is so lucky to have you as his aunt!
ReplyDeleteChris
When they grow up and become the person you knew they were, you can breathe a sigh of relief. His journey is beginning again and you are so lucky to be able to watch his life unfold. Lovely memories and a bright future lies ahead.
ReplyDeleteSo. Very. Exciting. What a climb, what an adventure, what an amazing day! Love the whole premise of your slice -- it may be just a sign to us, but it does mean so much more! You've captured it so well. We are all so PROUD of your nephew! Looks like he has some stacks of paperwork to attend to . . . can't wait to hear about the next stage!
ReplyDeleteLove your list of remembrances. Love your title too. :)
ReplyDelete